Sam Ernst is new to the Silver Creek family and happy to be here. You will meet Sam on the floor, doing, as he said, “Whatever is pertinent to the moment!” Have a question about flies? Sam can help. Would you like to book a guide trip? Find the perfect gift? Sam will prove invaluable. He also prides himself on making sure the retail floor is always beautifully orderly. Sam grew up in Walnut Creek, California, and moved to Colorado for college, graduating with a degree in Fisheries and Aquatic Biology from Colorado State University in 2018.
After earning his degree, Sam accepted a Fisheries Technician position with Idaho Fish and Game to work at Hayspur Fish Hatchery. He said, “Being able to fish and recreate in ecosystems ranging from high desert sage to the high alpine on any given day made the decision to move to Idaho an easy one!”
Fun Facts about Sam
- He has two little sisters who he said make him very proud.
- His first memory of Idaho? A moose standing in Loving Creek when he drove up the Hatchery driveway for the very first time. He quickly learned the moose had the right of way.
- Sam spent six months traveling through New Zealand, living in a “minivan of questionable fortitude.” There, he spent most days fishing, hiking, and meeting great people. He is beyond thankful for his time there.
- On his days off, Sam will do pretty much anything as long as it’s outside. He explained, “If I’m not fishing I like to run, hike, camp, or float, preferably ending the day with a cold, cheap beer, and good company. I also keep close tabs on my favorite sports teams, I’ll likely shed a few tears if the A’s win a World Series in my lifetime.”
- Sam’s favorite part about working at SCO is his coworkers, though he thinks the guests are pretty great, too.
What folks say about fishing with Sam
“These guides [Johnny, James, and Sam] were wonderful. They were exceptionally patient, so smart, and very thoughtful. And so capable in managing multiple children with varying skill levels - and temperaments. These guides should all run for President.”Lea Carpenter